A Brief History
The Canadian Otolaryngological Society, as it was know then, was founded by three doctors, George Hodge, William J. McNally and Jules Brahy. Their aim was to create a charter that would further the training of members of the specialty and allow them to “work in an atmosphere of mutual understanding and cooperation.”
At the first meeting of the Canadian Medical Association in 1946, a constitution and the bylaws were written. The officers elected were G.E. Hodge, president, Howard McCart, vice-president, E.G. Washington, treasurer and Jules Brahy, secretary. They received 230 applications to join the newly formed association. Initially, membership was offered to all otolaryngologists in good standing at the time the Society was formed but subsequently restricted to those certified by the Royal College or an equivalent qualification recognized by the council.
The first meeting of the COS was held at Minaki Lodge, Ontario on June 23 and 24, 1947. There were 48 members who attended. Since that time, the Society has held an annual meeting in different locations across the country. On February 15, 1978, the COS was incorporated and officially became know as the Canadian Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, a name that better reflected the scope of the specialty.