Read the latest edition of the Society’s newsletter …
72nd Annual Meeting
June 16 – 19, 2018* (NEW DATE)
Centre des Congrès de Québec /
Fairmont Le Château Frontenac
– Dr. Erin Wright, Edmonton, AB
– Dr. Sophie Lachance, Québec, QC
– Dr. Brian Rotenberg, London, ON
The Pre-registration option is now CLOSED. Onsite registration will be available starting Saturday, June 16, 2018 @ 08:00. The registration desk will be located on the 2nd level, in front of Salon 200AB, Quebec City Convention Centre.
For GENERAL INFORMATION go to Québec Annual Meeting.
Dr. F. Gigi Osler, Winnipeg, MB
Chair, CPD Committee
If my experience is like many of yours, obtaining Maintenance of Certification (MOC) credits in Section 3: Assessment, is very challenging. The emphasis on assessment underlines its importance to provide data and feedback in order to identify our knowledge or performance needs and to develop future learning opportunities. Meaningful and constructive feedback is essential in assessment and for improving our skills.
Here is an easy, no-cost way to earn Section 3: Assessment credits (and even Section 2: Self-learning credits if you are really motivated!). Performance assessment activities can occur in a simulated or actual practice environment. It requires a colleague but both of you will be able to claim MOC credits:
• Ask a trusted colleague to assess your performance, either your technical or non-technical skills, during a simulated or actual surgical procedure. You can have them either assist you during the procedure or simply observe your performance.
• Immediately after the procedure, consider what worked well for you, what you would like to continue doing, and what you would like to improve on during future surgeries.
• Then review and discuss how you think you performed with your colleague. Review and discuss their feedback on your performance.
• Re-evaluate your self-assessment and compare to their feedback. Did you both agree that certain elements of your performance could be improved? If so, this is the perfect time to decide on a plan of action for further improvement, such as pursuing a Personal Learning Project (PLP), which earns your further credits in Section 2: Self-learning. PLP Template
• To assist you in this assessment activity, the CPD Committee has developed these downloadable and fillable forms that can be used to assess both your technical and non-technical skills. Direct Observation Forms
• If you were assessed, you can claim “Section 3: Direct Observation” which earns you 3 credits/hour of time spent reflecting on your performance, receiving feedback and revising your self-assessment.
• As the “assessor”, your colleague can claim 15 “Section 2: Peer Review” credits for the year (regardless of how many times during the year they assess you or other colleagues).
I look forward to seeing you in Quebec City on June 16-19, 2018 for our 72nd Annual Meeting!
2018 Membership Dues
To pay your 2018 dues please click here.
2018 Annual Business Meeting
Tuesday, June 19 @ 0745, Salon C, Quebec Conference Centre, QUEBEC, QC
Top 10 Reasons to be a Member of the Society
- It is the right thing to do!
- Attend the Annual Scientific Meeting at a reduced rate.
- Waive the publication fee for accepted articles to the Journal of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery (worth $1750 USD).
- Access on-line resources including CPD online courses with credit – COMING SOON.
- Advocate for your patients as part of a national body in your scope of practice.
- Collaborate with your colleagues from coast to coast to coast.
- Enhance your credibility by belonging to your National Society.
- Socialize with your peers in all disciplines of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Access or assist in developing professional standards and guidelines for our profession.
Join now … click here
- (mailed as hardcopy)
Employment OpportunitiesNEW!(May 17/18)
OTOLARYNGOLOGIST, SCARBOROUGH, ON
The Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology at Scarborough and Rouge Hospital General Site is seeking an otolaryngologist to join our team. Read More NEW!(May 17/18)
OTOLARYNGOLOGIST, TIMMINS, ON
Timmins and District Hospital is recruiting for a permanent second full-time otolaryngologist. Read More NEW!(May 9/18)
OTOLARYNGOLOGIST-HEAD AND NECK SURGEON, SYDNEY, NS
We are seeking a general otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon to join our collegial group in Sydney, NS. Read More
OTOLARYNGOLOGIST, VICTORIA, BC
The Division of Otolaryngology of Island Health is seeking an Otolaryngologist in Victoria to start immediately for a period of 6 to 12 months. The position will terminate at the end of the contract period. The candidate should not have any expectation of obtaining a permanent position. The successful candidate will hold FRCSC qualification in Otolaryngology and be eligible for full licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC. The physician will participate in paid on-call coverage with five other members providing tertiary care coverage for Vancouver Island. The candidate will rotate between the local Otolaryngologists offices and can expect to work 4 to 5 full clinic days per week. OR time will be also available. Please forward your cover letter, CV, and names of three references to: Sara Campbell, Medical Staff Recruitment Coordinator, Island Health, Fax: 250-716-7747 Email: [email protected]
GENERAL OTOLARYNGOLOGIST, PLATTSBURGH, NY
The University of Vermont Health Network Medical Group is seeking an otolaryngologist physician to join the care team of Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital (CVPH) with dedicated outreach to Alice Medical Center in Malone, NY. Read More
PEDIATRIC OTOLARYNGOLOGIST, CALGARY, AB
The Department of Surgery, Alberta Health Services-Calgary Zone and the University of Calgary invite applications for the position of Pediatric Otolaryngologist-Head and Neck Surgeon at the Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary, AB. Read More
OTOLARYNGOLOGIST-HEAD AND NECK SURGEON, KAMLOOPS, BC
Kamloops is seeking a full-time Otolaryngologist-Head and Neck Surgeon to join our collegial group. Read More
For SaleNEW!(May 8/18)
SOUND BOOTH: Single person soundproof audiology hearing testing booth. In excellent condition. Fully functional. Any reasonable offer accepted. Ph 416-723-6566
To post “for sale” items contact us at [email protected] .
Please check our overview of upcoming events:All Events Events Split Per Region*
*Events per region: Canada, United States and International
To post announcements for upcoming meetings, courses or workshops contact us [email protected] .
Past Annual Meetings
To review details from past annual meetings please click here.