(Updated May 16/10)
64th ANNUAL MEETING
“Technology Transforming Patient Care”
President – DR. JOSEPH DORT, Calgary, AB
Local Arrangements Chair – DR. LEN MAKEREWICH, Niagara Falls, ON
Scientific Program Chair – DR. ANDRE TAN, Kingston, ON
On behalf of this year’s President, Dr. Joseph Dort, and the Local Arrangements Committee for 2010, I would like to invite and welcome you and your families to the grandeur of Niagara Falls and to the bounty and beauty that is Niagara. If you haven’t been here in some time, you will be surprised at the changes brought about by having two world class casinos. The meeting should again live up to its front row research and clinical application reputation. We would encourage you to consider bringing your families along and staying after the meeting as we have obtained discount pricing for many of Niagara’s attractions including the Great Wolf Lodge, our largest indoor water park and children’s theme hotel. I look forward to seeing you in Niagara.
Len Makerewich, 2010 Local Arrangements Chair
2010 SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM
This meeting offers delegates the unique opportunity to learn from experts (academic and community) and share their own professional experience in various areas of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. Participants are encouraged to critically investigate and challenge how technologies can transform patient care.
- To offer podium and poster presentations of the most up-to-date clinical and scientific materials with special focus on technological advancement in otolaryngology-head and necks surgery.
- To present a variety of workshops, panels and subspecialty sessions to provide more focused subject matter in an interactive setting.
- To provide a platform for constructive discussions on general otolaryngology as well as subspecialty areas including head and neck oncology, laryngology, rhinology, otology, neurotology, pediatric otolaryngology, facial cosmetic and reconstructive surgery and medical education.
- To promote an atmosphere of academic, professional and social interaction amoung Society members, allied health providers, honoured guests and corporate partners.
- DR. DOUGLAS CHEPEHA, Ann Arbor, MI (Head and Neck Oncology)
- DR. ROSS MITCHELL, Calgary, AB (Physicist / Medical Imaging)
- DR. ANTONIA MAIONI, Montreal, QC (Health Reform in Canada and the US) profile.
We are please to announce that DR. JULIAN NEDZELSKI, Toronto, ON, will be this meeting’s Guest of Honour. profile
The meeting will start on SUNDAY MORNING, MAY 23 @ 08:00 with the OPENING SESSION. Our Scientific Program Chair, DR. ANDRE TAN, in conjunction with the CPD and SUB-SPECIALTY COMMITTEE CHAIRS, have put together a diverse scientific program based on your comments and recommendations from last year. Below, please find the list of workshops and papers that will presented at the meeting.
IMPORTANT: Updates and changes to the program will be posted on this site as they are received.
2010 SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM
- Program-at-a-glance (2 pages)
- Complete Scientific Program (titles/times) (35 pages)
- Complete Scientific Program (with abstracts) (91 pages)
FOR THE RESIDENTS
In response to the positive feedback we received after the Halifax annual meeting, the POLIQUIN RESIDENTS COMPETITION will remain in the main portion of the meeting and is scheduled for MONDAY AFTERNOON, MAY 24 from 13:00 to 17:00. The presentation schedule will be available after March 31.
There will also be two other special sessions for residents…
- TUESDAY MAY 25 – 16:00 to 17:00…“Establishing an ENT Practice”
- TUESDAY MAY 25 – 17:00 to 18:00…“Taking the Royal College Exam”
SCIENTIFIC POSTER PRESENTATIONS
MONDAY, MAY 24 – 09:00 to 17:00 & TUESDAY, MAY 25 – 09:00 to 16:00
FOYER AREA, GREAT ROOM ABC, SHERATON ON THE FALLS HOTEL, NIAGARA FALLS
The Society will award a $500 prize for the best scientific poster at the meeting. For more details on the competition’s RULES and REGULATIONS click here.
The 2nd annual POSTER WALK WITH THE EXPERTS will take place on TUESDAY, MAY 25 between 10:30 – 12:00..
IMPORTANT – Poster dimensions can be a MAXIMUM of 45″(wide) x 93″(high).
SET UP – Sunday, May 23, 2010 – 07:30 to 11:30
DISMANTLE – Tuesday, May 25, 2010 – 16:00
You MUST remove your poster at the appropriate time, otherwise we CANNOT guarantee its return.
ROYAL COLLEGE MAINTENANCE OF CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
The 64th Annual Meeting is an accredited group learning activity under Section 1, as defined by the RCPSC for the maintenance of certification program. The total number of credit hours = 25.
ALL PAPER PRESENTATIONS, WORKSHOPS AND PANEL DISCUSSIONS will be recorded for publication on this website and for possible publication in the Journal of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery.
SUNDAY, MAY 23
- Otology/Cochlear Implants (Drs. Westerberg/Bance): 07:00-08:00 Falls View Studio A
- Medical Education (Dr. Wright): 07:00-08:00 Falls View Studio C
- OHNS Program Directors (Dr. Wright): 12:00-13:00 Falls View Studio A
- OHNS Department Chairs (Dr. Yoo): 17:00-18:00 Falls View Studio A
- Rhinology/Sinus Disease (Dr. Wright): 17:00-18:00 Falls View Studio C
- Laryngology (Dr. Kost): 17:00-18:00 Executive Board Room, (5th floor – convention level)
MONDAY, MAY 24
- Head & Neck Surgery (Drs. Taylor / Gilbert): 07:00-08:00 Falls View Studio A
- Undergraduate E-Education (Dr. Fung): 12:00-13:30 Falls View Studio A
- Pediatric Otolaryngology (Dr. Daniel): 17:00-18:00 Falls View Studio C
TUESDAY, MAY 25
- Editorial Board (Drs. Seikaly / Wright): 12:00-13:30 Falls View Studio A
NIAGARA SHOPPING TOUR AND LUNCH
Monday, May 24, 2010 – 09:30
THE ULTIMATE SHAW, NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, ON
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 – 10:00
This rewarding theatrical experience will include a backstage tour and pre/ post-show chat, buffet lunch at the Festival Theatre, and a Shaw Festival performance of “An Ideal Husband” by Oscar Wilde, directed by Jackie Maxwell. Bus transportation included.
There are a few tickets left so please inquire at the meeting’s registration desk if you are interested in attending. For more information about the Shaw Festival, go to www.shawfest.com.
COST – $99 / Person.
COMPANIONS HOSPITALITY SUITE
Monday, May 24 and Tuesday, May 25, 2010 – 08:30 to 10:00
Upper Fallsview Studio A, Sherton on the Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls, ON
A continental breakfast will be served each morning for the spouses and companions.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 – 19:00 to 22:00
Children will enjoy a fun get together during the President’s banquet on Tuesday evening. Food, games, and a movie will be provided. All this complete with adult supervision. This event is suitable for children 3 years & older.
- Delegates will receive Niagara Parks Commission’s VALUE DISCOUNTS in the registration packages. It allows for special reductions, including 15% OFF dining and shopping at all Niagara Parks Restaurants and gift shops, SPECIAL GOLF RATES at LEGENDS and WHIRLPOOL golf courses as well as additional discounted rates on the NIAGARA FALLS & GREAT GORGE ADVENTURE PASS (includes Maid of the Mist Boat Ride, Journal Behind the Falls, Niagara Fury: The Creation on the Falls, White Water Walk) and 2 days travel on the PEOPLE MOVER BUSES and FALLS INCLINE RAILWAY.
- Delegates will also receive a VIP TASTING CARD from INNISKILLIN WINERY. Present the card at the Inniskillin Boutique and receive a COMPLIMENTARY TASTING tasting for you and a guest at their tasting bar. You can experience 2 VQA Inniskillin Wines and their renowned Vidal Icewine.
- For those attending with children, we have arranged discounted room rates at GREAT WOLF LODGE, located only a few minutes drive from the convention hotel. Great Wolf Lodge offers unique themed suites, an enormous indoor / outdoor water park and much more to delight the kids. For more information and to book accommodations go to www.greatwolf.com or call 905-354-4888. Please let them know that you are part of the 64th Annual Meeting to ensure you will get the discounted rates.
- If you are planning to stay for a few days after the meeting, you might want to look into ZOOM LEISURE BIKE TOURS. They specialize in bike tours of the Niagara region, both serious (140 km route) and leisurely (Pub Lunch and Winery Tour). Check out their website at www.zoomleisure.com. They can be reached at: Tel: 866-811-6993 / Fax: 905-468-5282 or [email protected].
Find a list of activities and restaurants in Niagara that are the favourites of the local arrangements chair, Dr. Len Makerewich…
Dr. Paul Kerr and the Department of Otolaryngology, UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA, cordially invite you to an Alumni cocktail reception on MONDAY, MAY 24, 2010, from 17:00 to 19:00, The Chef’s Table in the Fallsview Restaurant, Sheraton on the Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls, ON
The registration desk will be located in the foyer of Great Room ABC, 3rd Floor, Convention Level, Sheraton on the Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls.
The desk will be opened on…
- Sunday, May 23 07:30 – 17:00
- Monday, May 24 07:30 – 17:00
- Tuesday, May 25 07:30 – 16:00
A full refund of the registration fee will be given for cancellations received before APRIL 21, 2010. A fee of $50 will apply thereafter. Written acknowledgement of registration WILL NOT be provided prior to the meeting. Receipts will be distributed on-site.
LOCATION & TIME
Great Room A & B, Sheraton on the Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls, ON
Sunday, May 23, 2010 – 12:00 to 17:00
Monday, May 24, 2010 – 09:00 to 17:00
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 – 09:00 to 16:00
SET-UP: Sunday, May 23 – 07:30 to 11:30
DISMANTLE: Tuesday, May 25 – 16:00 to 18:00
Buffet lunches and coffee breaks will be served in the exhibits area (GREAT ROOM AB, SHERATON ON THE FALLS HOTEL).
Click on one of these links for …